J. Tylor & Sons were a firm of Engineers (but see below for
a more detailed description).
They operated from:
2 Newgate Street,
at the time the underprint was in use.
A Post Office Commercial Directory for 1865 has an entry for the firm that reads:
“…engineers (hydraulic, mechanical & pharmaceutical), brassfounders, brass finishers, cockfounders, braziers, coppersmiths, plumbers, pottery dealers, manufacturers of pumps, water closets, soda water engines & machines, diving apparatus, baths & patent bath boilers, hot water apparatus, fire engines, hose pipe, garden engines & syringes, chemical apparatus for laboratories, brass manufacturers, pewterers & beer engine makers, ice mould makers, manufacturers of moderator & belmontine lamps, lamps for India & colonies, standard weights & measures for corporation use, condensing apparatus for distilling salt water for ships’ use, Warwick lane, Newgate street EC, & 1 Warwich
This Brassfounders firm was owned by a Quaker Joseph Tylor. His two sons
Alfred and Edward both worked for the family business. After seven years
working for the firm, the younger son, Edward left due to ill health and travelled
widely. He later became Sir Edward Tylor, Professor of Anthropology at
Oxford and head of the University Museum. The picture below of Sir Edward is a detail of a chalk drawing by G. Bonavia held in the National Portrait Gallery, London.
Sir Edward Burnett Tylor (1832–1917)
1868. Unofficial underprint type 59 (under the gum) in black.
a) Vertical underprint, reading upwards
PP196 1d lake-red (SG 43 or G1)
Plates 119, 120, 122, 124, 134, 138, 140, 143, 144, 147, 149, 150, 151, 152,
154, 156, 161, 167, 171, 173, 174, 177, 185, 192, 198, 201 and 212
b) Vertical underprint, reading downwards
PP197 1d lake-red
(SG 43 or G1)
Plates 146, 170, 183, 201, 202, 207, 213 and 218